TLS: We Believe In An Open And Fair Forum For All Candidates Apr 25 2010 10:02 am
To Bigson and others who have questioned TLS’s stand on Hershel Vs Senator Singer: To answer your questions, we give everyone an opportunity to submit their opinions, articles or criticism, when done in a respectful manner. Yes, Hershel is one of them. One reader asked “Why is Hershel given an automatic platform to write whatever he wants on this site?”. The answer to that is, he doesn’t. The next time you meet Hershel, please ask him how many of his articles were rejected. Many readers have taken the opportunity and time to write us, and many of them are posted. Those are what we call the ’Readers’ Scoop’. If you wish for us to print your articles or opinions, feel free to send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will review it.
We believe in giving a fair and open forum to all who wish to discuss and address the issues which concern them, as an individual or which concern the community as a whole.
You may remember last week’s BOE Elections in which both parties had the opportunity to deliver a video message to the community.
As far as the comments are concerned, we have expressed our views and will stress it again. We do not expect nor ask that you agree with any group or any one person’s view or opinion, and we allow comments disagreeing with others, when done in a respectful manner. Personal attacks-on politicians or any person-will not be tolerated.
As usual, should you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us.
There are 64 Comments to "TLS: We Believe In An Open And Fair Forum For All Candidates"
- gevaldig says: April 25, 2010 at 10:15 am To the honorable Bob Singer,
Being in public service for 3 decades, you know the importance of communicating with you constituants. Would you please accept our request to either debate, blog, op-ed or any way you can think of getting your message thru to us.
HH has hit a nerve in the LKWD community by opening up what has been going on in town for decades. Can you please respond to us/him other than an off the cuff comment that he is a coward. Although I don’t agree with your platform (raising taxes) I would hate to lose the voice of LKWD in trenton because you refuse to acknowldge TLS or HH.
Please heed our request.
A Tax Paying Citizen
- Anonymous says: April 25, 2010 at 10:18 am Maybe bob dosent think TLS is so important. Truth is by him not responding at all it does take away a lot of credabilty from HH. Bob will just say HH is just a loud blogger, who attacks me without me responding. A pretty solid stragety
- Moshe Duvid says: April 25, 2010 at 10:19 am Mr. Singer knows if he were to debate Hershel he would have his lunch handed to him on a silver platter and it would be hard on hershels part, theres 20 + years of backroom deals hershel can pull out in the first 5 minutes of any debate
- harold herskowitz says: April 25, 2010 at 10:31 am This past shabbos a friend of mine asked Mayor Langert why Senator Singer does not want to answer my concerns, and debate me in the open forum of his choice. His answer was quite insulting. ” Bob looks at him like he is Cockroach, you don’t need to debate a Cockroach, you squash it”. He then proceeded to explain that the VAAD, and some others, will show support for Singer, regardless of his past history, and questionable moral character, squashing his chances to win. Once again I was attacked personally with no regard to the issues I am trying to discuss. I will not allow my opponent to cause me to fight with my future committemen which I look forward to working with to find solutions to the myriad problems that plague our town. I was only called a cockroach once before. I was teaching the Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka to some mesivta boys when I taught english while learning in BMG. One of the boys was upset about having to read a book about a cockroach, and called me a cockroach. It was funny, but he got in trouble. Funny thing is he is a grown up now. He lives in Lakewood, and we have been friends to this day.
Amazing how a cockroach can end up becoming your best friend.
- 1ki-la-shem.... says: April 25, 2010 at 10:33 am harold 4 mayor!!!!!!!!!!
- geshmakerrr says: April 25, 2010 at 10:37 am Pretty rude answer from Steve. I would think they should have some respect for someone who is echoing many iin Lakewood.
- Corzine says: April 25, 2010 at 10:38 am We should all recall how Corzine said the same thing about Cristie and refused to openly debate him or respond to any of his comments.
Bob Singer may unfortunatley learn like Corzine what his constituants want and who voted him into office!
- Anonymous says: April 25, 2010 at 10:41 am Hershel I really love you but I cant help noticing that you are very sensative. My advice is to grow a thicker skin, things are just gonna get worse.
- Eric says: April 25, 2010 at 10:41 am HH,
Let “the Powers that be” try and fight you off because its their fight for survival. I am sure we will see many “groups” that were at odds with each other all of a sudden unite to try to stay alive.
HH be strong and your truth will prevail!
- to #1 says: April 25, 2010 at 10:42 am We will not lose a voice in Trenton. Go look at bobs voting history. There has never been a bill he promoted that helped our kehilla. If there was one he would have announced it already a thousand times. He made laws about driving safety, medical needs etc. Some good laws he sponsored I am sure. But none had anything to do with us specifically He will still do yeshiva favors that he can if he expects to get reelected as senator, and with christie he has very little influence. Its better to have hh in there where something can get done than more of his tax and spending moves. HH has promised to respect the oilams money.
- Eric says: April 25, 2010 at 10:44 am im amazed how steve all of sudden forgot what its like to run for office- has he been in office 2 years???
- Avi Solomon says: April 25, 2010 at 10:49 am In politics, many candidates refuse to debate an opponent if they believe it will hurt their chances of re-election. Singer maintains a better chance of being re-elected merely by pretending HH doesn’t exist. THis doesn’t mean Singer is afraid to debate HH or that he hasn’t done good for Lakewood. It merely means that Bob Singer is aware of how political strategy works. A few other examples of this in politics is that Gov. Christie refused to debate Steve Lonegan until he saw him as a threat in the Republican Primary. Obama refused to debate Hillary in a Lincoln/Douglas style debate because he knew she’d destroy him and possible come back to win the Democratic primary. HH is still an idealist running for office, which is why I’m going to vote for him. Singer is a politician. Politicians are more strategy than idealist.
- To Herschel says: April 25, 2010 at 10:51 am I continue to feel most disheartened by your continuous negative campaign. It is most unfortunate that you are representing a community who is supposed to be a light unto onto the nations. There must be a better way for you to get your points across.
Please for the sake of this kehilla, try to be diplomatic.
- christie supporter says: April 25, 2010 at 10:51 am Christie is also very sensitive to attacks personally. But look how he is getting things done. Go Harold. You would be shocked how many of us know about you. You seem like a righteous jewish guy. Please don’t disapoint us.
- Anonymous says: April 25, 2010 at 11:02 am hershel,
whatever you say will be used against you. as long as keep talking, your feeding your opponents cannon fodder to use againt you.
- cut taxes says: April 25, 2010 at 11:04 am This is lakewood not the election for president of the usa,
Bob can pretend all he wants but the facts are the facts and HH is here regardless
So bob wake up and smell the cofee b4 its too late
- cut taxes says: April 25, 2010 at 11:11 am For those talking about all the favors Bob has done for the kehilla over the years,
Guess what , we paid for it in the form of our taxes going up 100% ,
(my 2009 taxes were double my 2000 taxes)
Bob your time is up, retire gracefully b4 ….
- ? says: April 25, 2010 at 11:35 am Bob singer was a sponsor of the bill to allow parents to be covered under NJ family care. That benefited many members of our community.
- Eric says: April 25, 2010 at 11:48 am and cost most of the rest a bundle!!
- Dumb Yid says: April 25, 2010 at 12:26 pm Truthfully, I don’t know who to vote for yet. But I will say the following thought:
The anger that the community is showing, through the ascendancy of Herschel Herskowitz’s candidacy, is a reflection of growing citizen and tax-payer sentiment around the entire country. The Tea Party is a collection of regular normal tax-paying citizens in the greatest country in the world, who have simply had it with “tax and spend” policies of Democratic liberals, and RINO’S (Republicans In Name Only), who continue to tax us and spend the money, without regard to our vehement objections.
We simply want to be left alone. We want taxes to go down. If that means less services….. so be it!!
The country is up in arms.
So is Lakewood. We’ve had enough. STOP THE TAXES. STOP THE SPENDING.
The politicians better wake up and smell the coffee. Because there is real concern out there on the streets. NJ voted Republican, and wonder of wonders, 60% of liberal NJ supports Christie’s policies of cutting spending and taxes!! (the other 40% are on welfare)
Massachussetts, the most liberal state in the union, voted Republican.
Any politician who doesn’t realize what is happening is commiting political suicide.
An endorsement from the Vaad for Singer???? Bring it on! The people didn’t listen to the Vaad and voted for Christie, you watch what will happen this time!!
- 1ki-la-shem... says: April 25, 2010 at 12:46 pm Hershel:please be careful!I sense cannon fodder about to explode….
- To #19 says: April 25, 2010 at 12:47 pm Well said.
- To #19 says: April 25, 2010 at 12:48 pm Previous comment was meant for #20
- BMG says: April 25, 2010 at 1:04 pm The Vaad will probably say that we have to have Hakaras Hatov to Singer.
I really believe that the Vaad is out of touch with the issues of everyday regular people that live in Lakewood. For us, it’s not about more money for SCHI, or some other program. We just want lower taxes and lower spending. It’s as simple as that.
Dear Vaad, I will vote for Harold, whether you endorse Singer or not. But if you endorse Singer, you will lose all credibility with the average Yankel Shmerel in Lakewood.
- Moshe Duvid says: April 25, 2010 at 1:09 pm Let Bob Singer rely on the Vaad’s endorsement.
- Serious says: April 25, 2010 at 1:16 pm Steve – I’m truly shocked at your behavior. A few years ago when you first ran for office, you promised to run on issues and do what’s right for Lakewood. That immediate election you lost but with positive messaging and promises to Lakewood you won. Fast forward, you have polarized Lakewood and for got who got you elected. You’re already dreaming of higher office in Trenton – less chance of that happening then you getting re-elected to the Township Committee. Steve, please be cautious, your seat is not a guaranteed seat.. You’re next on the docket. Stop carrying water for others and start doing your job as you promised before you were elected.
- Big Moe says: April 25, 2010 at 1:16 pm Hershel, Bob doesn’t want to debate you now because the deadline has passed to fight him, at least in his mind. Klapei chutz Bob is a stickler for the rules, as he’s known them for the last 30 years. This new- age TLS web stuff gets him nervous. L’Maisah, don’t worry Hershel, the groundswell of support from yungerleit that know the real deal is behind you all the way. We know that election day is June 8th, and we will turn out en mass to support you. Best of luck, Hershel, and stand proud. You are in it to win it!! Never forget that, and all of us who support you!!
- The Vaad says: April 25, 2010 at 1:38 pm The Vaad does not make endorsements in the primaries.
- primary says: April 25, 2010 at 1:51 pm this time they will have to endorse Bob in the primary for him to stand a chance
- steve langert fan says to hh in 16 says: April 25, 2010 at 1:55 pm serious- please specify one thing that langert has done other than what he promised to do. just one please
- Anonymous says: April 25, 2010 at 2:20 pm Tls editor are you not gonna endorse HH?? of course you are!
- steve langert defender says: April 25, 2010 at 2:25 pm langert is a true mentch. he stands up for the “little people” & is always ready to lend an ear or a hand. I know from experience. as far as I am concerned, he is the only one who doesn’t care if he gets reelected and that is why he is able to do the right thing. he has an uphill battle to fight.
- Yatzmech says: April 25, 2010 at 2:25 pm I am the friend who told HH about the cockroach message. HH, this was a private message to you not to publicize, I was trying to explain to you to stop running a negative campaign because BS will use this against you as he thinks of you already as a cockroach, and what do you do? More negative.
HH I am begging you in public stop the negativity and start focusing on the positive, you have so much to give in the positive way and will win over people when you start showing that, don’t you get it? They want you to run on the negative and they are trying to get under your skin, and as a good friend I am telling you that it sure as heck looks like they’re getting there.
All I ask you is STOP IT.
- To Bob says: April 25, 2010 at 3:05 pm Dont just stand there DO SOMETHING! We the people would love for you to get on here and address our questions in an honest and fair way and we”ll decide who elects, hershey may be outspoken but at least he’s honest.
- midget says: April 25, 2010 at 3:33 pm Thank you steve for standing up for us little people. But if you are going to slam heshel who defends the homeless, gives toys to sick children, defends small builders, and business owners, routes out coruption , then you no longer have the little peoples vote.
- Anonymous says: April 25, 2010 at 3:40 pm To number 30. Steve and the rest of the township raised taxes last year.
- Dumb Yid says: April 25, 2010 at 3:43 pm I don’t know what to think of Yatzmech’s comment that he is the “friend” that told Herschel of Langert’s cockroach comment.
It seems to me that that was Langert himself, or a supporter, trying to point out the negative aspects of this campaign.
Frankly, I don’t see how this campaign has turned negative at all. I have never heard, even once, anything personally negative that Herschel has said against Singer. What I’ve seen, instead, is the following:
1. Herschel rightfully pointing out all negative POLICY DECISIONS that Singer has wrongly supported. That is not a negative campaign, that’s called campaigning on the issues. We want people to point these out, so that we can make an informed decision about the POLICIES of the candidates, where it affects us in the wallet.
2. The second thing that Herschel has done, is to defend himself against personal attacks that were directed against him by others. There is nothing wrong with that. You may not like the strategy, but you cannot describe that as Herschel running a negative campaign.
If Herschel was saying personal negative things about Singer, that would ne a negative campaign. Sp far, I haven’t heard any of that. To complain that someone called him a cockroach???? Maybe Herschel is a baby for getting personally insulted, or maybe he’s a good politician after all, but that is not negative camapigning on Herschel’s part.
Pointing out that Singer squandered millions of taxpayer dollars, and because of that we are paying through the roof in taxes, which hurts every one of us directly????? Why, that is REAL CAMPAIGNING, thank you very much.
- BMG says: April 25, 2010 at 3:52 pm R’ Herschel, there are many people in town who don’t have internet. You need to campaign on the streets too, not just on TLS.
- Yatsmech says: April 25, 2010 at 4:02 pm 37. Yes I am a friend of HH and SL and this was a private conversation between me and SL as to why BS does not want to debate HH. SL did not say it to attack HH but was trying to explain why BS does not want to debate him. It was simply an example.
HH is not even running against SL he is running against BS so leave SL out of this.
- taxpayer says: April 25, 2010 at 4:03 pm Hershel is not running a negative campaign he’s just talking about things that bob did!! And bobs actions and votes were negative!!
- pro bob says: April 25, 2010 at 4:04 pm State senator Bob has sponsored so many bills that have helped us
save money ( from 1.175 million to 10 million dollars) and keep our community safe. He is driving on the high road unlike his opponent.
- where have all the flowers gone says: April 25, 2010 at 4:06 pm why dont you post my comment? it meets all the rules no CAPS or !!! and no personal attacks. be fair and balanced, not unbalanced please. be a benevolent place of open ideas and innuendos.
- king kong says: April 25, 2010 at 4:35 pm Hershel is not a cockroach. He is a 900 pound gorilla representing the voters’ discontent with the same old politics. It’s not that easy to crush a gorilla.
- a different mammal says: April 25, 2010 at 4:37 pm Hershel keeps pointing to the white elephant in the room. We want government that works for us and not for the few who have connections.
- not a fish says: April 25, 2010 at 4:41 pm The corruption in the Blue Claws deal is NO red herring. It is one of the most glaring examples of the old way of doing business. Every time
I drive by the stadium I remind myself to vote for Hershel.
- Hershel's points are on the mark says: April 25, 2010 at 4:49 pm HH flies like a butterfly but he stings like a bee.
- Anonymous says: April 25, 2010 at 4:59 pm Hershel you’re running for committee not the presidency.You are going to have to work on a team with some people who are still playing by the old rules. Get elected , get things done, and the politicians will change or get voted out of office.
- we can't go on like this says: April 25, 2010 at 4:59 pm WE support you! Go Harold Go!
- cut taxes says: April 25, 2010 at 5:07 pm HH I think ur friend misunderstood, he meant to say that you will crush bob like a cocaroach
- surely you're joking says: April 25, 2010 at 5:36 pm Call hershel whatever you want but you can’t call him chicken.
- lakewood taxpayer says: April 25, 2010 at 6:57 pm The reason they called you a name is they are afraid of you HH.Otherwise they would just ignore you, which they are trying to do now.
The same way there will be changes in the BOE system, they are afraid the same changes will happen to them. Singer is the first,the rest later.
Good Luck HH
- overtaxed says: April 25, 2010 at 7:24 pm HH, a word of advice… Hook up with the LAC, these guys are the new game in town and have earned the respect of MOST “average joe’s” in this town INCLUDING the seniors from all the 55+ developments around lakewood. Good luck, keep fighting.. You WILL win, the truth ALWAYS prevails!!!
- Anonymous says: April 25, 2010 at 9:00 pm singer has done more for this town then any1 else will ever do even obama i mean hh
- Anonymous says: April 25, 2010 at 9:03 pm is hh the tls editerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
- anonymous says: April 25, 2010 at 9:26 pm the oilom is finally waking up
- anonymous says: April 25, 2010 at 9:26 pm hershel is saying what everybody feels
- anonymous says: April 25, 2010 at 9:27 pm hershel will win
- anonymous says: April 25, 2010 at 9:28 pm between boe change and vaad change we will save thousands
- Bigson says: April 25, 2010 at 9:47 pm Im Bigson who wrote in last week about how I am bothered that Hershkowitz can write about whatever is on his mind whenever he wants to.
The Lakewood Scoop should certainly be commended for writing about my comment and explaining itself. But I want to make it clear to everyone reading this that The Lakewood Scoop did not post my comment, which goes to show that their whole thing about how this is an open forum and how everyone has a right to publish their views (provided that it follows guidlelines – and mine did, it was respectful but pointed) is not really true. (Hope this is posted)
It is true that H.H may post whatever he wants like anyone else, but it is also true that The Lakewood Scoop is giving one man a platform (like no one else!) in a way that clearly shows that the Scoop really likes him and that it partnered up with him (at least it gives off that impression). I just hope that its all legit.
By the way, I take issue with Avi Solomon who posted that he likes H.H because he is an idealist and not a politician. Simply put; that is out and out false. He is certainly politically motivated (not that there is anything wrong with that – other than getting a free pass on a site that is supposed to be impartial) and definitely not an idealist. Maybe an idealist for his own candidacy.
- Hershel will disappoint says: April 25, 2010 at 10:14 pm just watch. he is too honest to even try to claim lower taxes. and at least that is true, taxes will rise. So if he cant deliver that, what does he promise? just to be the un-Bob? not enough for most of us. and a farmers market here and there aint gonna change my life. get a platform hershy
- shmiel says: April 25, 2010 at 10:56 pm who r the seniors voting for?
- dovdov says: April 26, 2010 at 7:48 am HH, valid question for you:
How realistic is it to you that you will be able to lower our property tax? Or is that not your priority? Keep it the same? We like your “mehalich” in general but want more direction other than us knowing all our problems.
- Menchy says: April 26, 2010 at 11:00 am If HH gets in he will be appointed Mayor on Jan. 1st, and he will set the agenda as he sees fit. The Mayor of Lakewood does have some power over the other committeemen after all.
- harold herskowitz says: April 26, 2010 at 11:13 am Dov dov.
I have submitted an article detailing all of my ideas regarding property tax relief.
I cannot honestly say that I will definitely be able to lower property taxes. I can only present ideas that I believe should help, and promise to not abuse the public’s money. The only thing worse than having an increase in your property taxes, is not seeing any reason for it. In the years that Senator Singer has been at the helm, our taxes have doubled, yet our quality of life, services, and safety have not improved substantially, if at all. I will work hard to find waste, and corruption. I will not cut expenses only when I need to give contracts to special interests. I will not sacrifice jobs that are integral to the safety of our people, before finding all the waste that is enriching people that have positioned themselves to benefit from all the years of suspect spending.